Friday, May 20, 2005

nothing to say

a couple of days ago i finally got down to reorganizing some of my music files. in particular, i found the patience to scrutinize all my dashboard confessional songs. best bud mike burned a whole batch of 'em last year, but when i fiddled with my wmp last month i think i messed up the titles and the file names. so i really had to sit down and compare the song with the lyrics, which i got from the official website.

for a long time i wasn't in the mood to listen to those songs. i only had ears for the songs that introduced me to dash: a plain morning, best deceptions, screaming infidelities, and hands down. and there's vindicated from the spiderman2 soundtrack. i found the repetitive theme of chris carraba's songs too tiring to listen to, and too depressing. fortunately i managed to sit through the whole batch, which include most of the tracks from all his albums, as well as mtv unplugged versions. personally, i found some of the mtv unplugged versions to be better than the originals. and as i listened through the songs while reading the lyrics, i remembered why i was attracted to dash in the first place. however, i would still recommend moderation because too much emo can affect your mood. on the other hand, it was perfect for the time in our lives that we were wallowing in sadness and the futility of love.

here's a sample of chris carraba's genius. i think he's a poet (or whatever you call it, when it's actually prose) first and foremost.

i'm starting to fashion an idea in my head where i would impress you with every single word i said would come out insightful or brave or smooth or charming and you'd want to call me

and i would be there every time you'd need me i'd be there every time...

but for now i'll look so longingly waiting... for you to want me, for you need me, for you to notice me

-- dashboard confessional, for you to notice

No comments: