Thursday, March 3, 2005

the ultimate gig experience

for once i threw caution to the wind. i had no companion, it was weeknight, i'd never gone there before, and to top it all, i'm supposed to make headway on my strama external analysis. but no. i've reverted to my college student ways (only now, the educational level has changed), and who the hell cares about my paper?!?

last night was urbandub's last gig before heading back to the south. as in south, philippines. and no sched for return engagements. i just had to go.

because of my innate charitable personality, i found another dubista to hang out with, who also had no other companions. so while waiting for the performance, we exchanged small talk and swapped udub stories. believe me, i managed to breach my two-bottle limit without feeling too tired. and after 2 hours, the front act finally came on. hmm, good songs. my interest in the local rock scene just went up a notch. and then it was time.

my buddy and i had already moved to the front -- as in we were just an arm's length away. and even if i was not very familiar with udub's other songs, like the ones from the first album, i found myself nodding and swaying to the beat. man, they really rocked. and lalay is my god. i really wanted to be as good a bassist as she is, and it was like living my dreams through her. and the crowd was great. capone's isn't my usual kind of place, but the udub fans last night made me feel so comfortable. it wasn't rowdy, and though you'd find beatnik types they weren't alienating at all.

a pity i don't listen to nu anymore, i belatedly realized they were awarded album of the year in the last rock awards. now i can't wait to see them again, though i might have to wait until june (says their roadie). and next time, i hope i have my usual gig buddy with me. he would really enjoy it.

p.s. the front act -- menaya -- performs regularly at xaymaca. i'm thinking of going to their peligro gig next week. hmm...

(saturday, 5 march 2005 10:57 pm)

hah. i almost forgot. in my excitement i failed to mention this was the night of the jars of clay concert. i almost went there too, but i didn't have the money nor the time (though i did for this one)

mike and joe, two of my bestest buddies, watched the concert (separately shempre). so when i texted them both for this gig, they had to decline. hay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. makol left...
Friday, 4 March 2005 3:16 pm
sayang wasn't able to join you! but the next time they go to manila, definitely, we'll be there!!! at sino naman ang nakita mo? prospect? hahah!

galing ni lalay no!!!