Sunday, January 23, 2011

hold on to whatever will get you through

little gems of wisdom from a dinner date and a fruitful conversation, take one.
sometimes we're selling ourselves too short.


there's a saying that goes something like: "you can't expect people to love you if you don't love yourself first." the idea that we don't love our own self seems ludicrous, but deep in our hearts we know it's true.
i don't really love myself, not as i should. i constantly swing between expecting too much that i get disappointed, and going too easy as an extreme reaction to my disappointment. i'm too fat, too lazy, too slow a learner, too uninteresting. too fanatical, too uncaring, too dumb, too ugly. i have lost belief that i can love, and be loved for myself. i would rather remain ignorant and regretful, than be caught staring and seize a moment. i have so much fear in my heart that it has taken over my life.
sometimes knowing is half the battle. but the other half that lies ahead will prove to be much more difficult than the half i've lived through.
-- john mayer, i can't trust myself with loving you

No comments: