Saturday, October 11, 2008

my life is a tv sitcom (hi, i'm ted mosby)

it was only last friday that i felt well enough (at times) to plug my ipod to my ears. but sheer boredom loves company, and i had just downloaded new stuff on the pod. like s1 of how i met your mother.

aside from being a comedy, and witty at that, the striking thing about it is that ted, the lead character, is my age. like, really. granted, he's a few months older, but it's rare to find a show that has a lead character my age. i always feel they're either too old, and as life went on, too young.

plus, it's the life of a single guy, in nyc. so, i'm not a guy, and i'm not in nyc, what do i have in common with ted? i've not even been in any relationship like he has. but he has four friends in the show, which kinda reminded me of my own group of friends when i was 27. (or to be more accurate, when i was turning 26). unlike ted, there were three girls and two guys in that group. lily-and-marshall were my other best friend and her now-husband. barney would be my best friend, who, while not as comedically bad as barney, is adventurous in her own right. robin would be the newcomer guy, who went to the same uni as the rest of us but only really hung out with after lily-and-marshall became an item. and needless to say, he could have been the one, but probably not for me.

that year i became 26 was probably the most emo year i ever went through. i was coping with big change professionally, struggling to graduate from grad school, and learning about dating for the first time in my life. actually, all the angst stuff went on until the next year, and a necessary lifestyle change put the brakes on that situation. again, needless to say, things did not work out as hoped, and love was one of the many things that frustrates me up to now.

but like ted said, these are my mistakes to make, and i had to make them even if i knew they were mistakes.

and now, time to start on season 2.

No comments: