Monday, August 31, 2009

first day high

so. in another attempt to pursue unfinished business after, well, finishing graduate school, i am embarking on a four-month journey to a healthier body.


the four months (hopefully a realistic target, since i am much aware of my inability to stick to my gameplan) was not an arbitrary number, although it seems to make a lot of sense since it lasts until the end of the year. my pesky best bud is getting married on the first saturday of january. and not only has he asked me to come together with a bunch of common friends and perform some songs, i was also a lucky secondary sponsor. and i am not going to show up looking like a whale, thank you. which, trust me, is really close to what i look like right now.

i have been thinking about this at length, and this weekend i finally did it. i enrolled in a gym. again. and i had my first session today.

i was enrolled with a gym a long time ago, back when i had my weekly classes at grad school and was ignoring my budget issues. i've always wanted to go back, because i knew badminton alone isn't much help. thankfully, i've found a gym that looks pretty good, closes late on weekdays, is relatively close to home, and much more affordable than my old one. hopefully this time, i can skirt the "too long commute" issue and not make it an excuse.

but losing weight isn't just about stepping up on physical activities, it's also about eating smart. and i think that with some health issues making themselves known, it's time for a lifestyle change. that's something that's a little harder to accomplish, because i hate most vegetables. and i love to eat, full stop. we'll see what will transpire when i go to the doctors.

so here i am, at the beginning of a very interesting four-month journey. i'm sure i'll have many ups and downs, and maybe tons of coffee and pork fat. but here's hoping that i can stick to a challenge of my own making for once in my life.

No comments: